Bullaburra could well be one of the oldest names in Australia still retaining its original sound. Before the railway crossed the mountains in the mid 1860’s the only access was by coach, horseback or on foot. To serve the needs of travellers various stopping places sprang up. One of these was built in the 1830’s opposite where the railway station now stands. When railway replaced coach travel Sir Henry Parkes purchased the site and built a residence, Buena Vista. Parts of these early buildings remain as part of a residence in Kalinda Road, one of which had been a kitchen and one a guest room. When the floor of the kitchen was being replaced a huge flat hard grey rock that was part of the core of the hill was found which was perhaps the original floor.
A map produced in 1879 by the NSW Government is the first map of the area available.!t shows most of the land to the north of the railway line as owned by Joseph Hay. The area to the south, between Godfrey’s Hill and Genevieve Road almost all belonged to Sir Henry Parkes. West of Genevieve Road to Kings Tableland was an area under the ownership of a Mr John Graham.
Joseph Hay lived in what is now Hay Street on the eastern side of the Lawson-Bullaburra boundary. During the 1880s and 1890s he bought large Crown Portions mainly on the northern. side but also on the south of the track. He built his log cabin in what was then called Berg Street. He and his wife Mary, for whom Mary Street in Lawson is named, lived in the cabin with their family for some years,naming their property Lanassa Park..In the mid-1920s, Arthur Rickard’s Real Estate Weekly (price Id) carried an advertisement for his recently sub-divided land. It was called Lanassa Park Estate.After the Hays moved from the house it was occupied by Tom Arundel and his family. He was an electrical engineer involved with the installation of electricity for the Western Line during the 1950s.
It seems to be a little unclear as to whether the land held by Sir Henry Parkes was all Crown Grants or whether some too was and it was added to by further purchases. He gave the name Village of Coleridge to the area he held. He also named Genevieve Road, De Quency Road (spelt De Quincy on the map), Cottte Road and Christabel (now Boronia) Road.
The original railway line had no stopping place at Bullaburra. This was built in the mid 1920s when Sir Henry Rickard wished to auction off the land The station was originally called Blue Skies. I do not know when the name Bullaburra was first used. Workers on the building of the railway.station lived in a shanty town where Eungella Park is now. Part of the area is now the commuter car park.
At the end of Albert Road there was a stand of cedar and assorted hardwoods. The first industry in the area was timber getting with one sawpit beside Bedford Creek where trees were prepared before being sent to the top of the hill by flying fox for processing at another saw pit. When the track to the Western Road became impassable a log road was laid. This road was still navigable in the 1950s by foot and bicycle. A part-time resident, Sir Herman Black (Chancellor of Sydney University) found a yoke from a bullock team in the area in the 1970s. Two houses in Bellevue Street, Lawson are said to have been built from Bullaburra cedar.